Souvenirs To Bring Back From Alaska






Ulu Knife



If you are looking for something to take home with you that is made in Alaska, an Ulu knife is probably what you are looking for.  There are cheap ones in stores that are made in China but you can tell the difference between an authentic one and the real thing just by looking at it.

Ulu knives were the tool used by Eskimos to cut the ice/snow to make igloos and to cut the meat off of their seals, whales and other meat.  It was an all-purpose knife.  The knives are now marketed to cut pizza, veggies, meat and seafood in a unique curved bowl.  Most sets come with a stand for the knife.  I bought two of these made from the Ulu Knife Factory and it came with the cutting board and block stand for when not in use.  They look great, work amazing and make a wonderful gift for family and friends.

Don't forget to purchase an Ulu Blade Sharpener to go with your knife!



Alaskan Glacial Mud



Alaskan glacial mud is also something unique to Alaska.  The mud is mineral rich and is made of the clay from silt of the local glaciers.  The silt works as an exfoliant to make your skin soft and supple with its moisturizing, anti-aging and detoxifying elements.  It comes in Lavender/Vanilla, Lavendar/Peppermint combinations as well as unscented for those who are sensitive to smells.

Salad Bear Paws



You will see these salad bear paws in every souvenir shop in Alaska.  These make great salad servers.  They also make great cheap gifts for friends and family.

Smoothie Glacial Silt Soap




Another made in Alaska item is the famous Smoothie Glacial Silt Soap.  The store is found in the port of Juneau.  It is made with the silt left behind from the glaciers.  It claims to have an exfoliating effect which polishes your skin leaving it super soft. This is a favourite stop for many visitors and a truly unique gift everyone on your list is sure to love.

Gold Flake Pens




One of the signature items of Alaska is gold and who doesn't want to take some gold home with them?  I came across these souvenir pens filled with 24 karat gold flakes. It works great and looks expensive.  I picked up a few of these.

Totem Pole Miniature




I'm one of those people who likes to collect a miniature of the city they travel to.  I picked up a mini totem pole with the word Alaska written across the bottom.  It was small and cheap and looks great among the rest of my collection from other cities around the world.

Magnets




Magnets make a great souvenir.  They are cheap, creative, lightweight and don't take up a lot of space in your luggage.  I like to take a memory back from each place I visit and this is a great way display that.

Mugs




I love my mugs.  I also love to collect them from different cities.  It makes me happy to take out my mug from the cabinet with a city written on the front for my morning tea or coffee.  It brings back wonderful memories for me on that particular trip.

Jewellery



Alaska's Northern Light (Mystic Topaz) Gem

Zultanite Gemstone


Alaksa is known for their amazing jewellery.  There are many jewellery shops in the cruise ports to choose from.  Depending on what you are looking for, there is something for everyone.  Diamonds, Tanzanite, Morganite and the Alaskan Gemstone, Northern Lights are just a few to choose from.  If you are coming off a cruise ship, it is advisable to attend a jewellery shopping excursion seminar.  They will explain what to look for and how to bargain with the jeweller to get a reasonable price.  Most shops will entice you with either free or cheap jewellery sets to get you to come in.

Salmon Jerky




Ketchikan is the salmon capital of the world so what better souvenir than a salmon item.  I bought some salmon jerky for a few family members who also love salmon as much as I do.  Jerky and other salmon items can be found in every souvenir shop.  It is a little bit pricey but a tasty treat for salmon lovers.

Alaska Devil's Club Salve





The last item to be derived from Alaska is the Alaska Devil's Club Salve.  The Devil's Club shrub, which is commonly found in Alaska is used in the salve. It is supposed to help relieve pain, aching muscles, arthritis, eczema, bruises, surface wounds and improves blood circulation.  Sounds like a miracle salve.  Why not give it a try?

Shopping for souvenirs should always be fun not stressful.  I like to shop for things that remind me of my trip and for things I can use or people I shop for will love.  These are the items I found that were either new or things that I like to have from my trips.  I hope that this will give you some ideas on what to purchase if looking for a unique souvenir!


Comments

Popular Posts