7 Halal Places to Eat in San Francisco and its Surroundings



California has a wide variety of foods they offer.  Deciding what to try is always the hardest part.  Here are a few halal options that I ate which left an impression on me.  Whether its the food, great service or atmosphere of the place, I really did enjoy it all.  Try some of these out next time you are in California and let me know what you think!

1. Pamir Restaurant 

Pamir Restuarant is a Halal establishment serving the most delectable Afghani food.  Owned by an Afghani family, it is run with the utmost professionalism I have seen in any Muslim establishment. I visited there with my Aunt and Uncle on my first day in San Francisco.  Pamir Restaurant is located in Dublin, CA, in the outskirts of San Francisco.  Our server, Farhad, told us that his twin brother and his mother, who is an amazing cook, run the restaurant.  We came at 8:30pm and the restaurant was closing at 9pm but they in no way made us feel like we needed to hurry and finish up.  We ordered the Mantu (mince meat dumplings with spices), Bolani Mix, Beef Koobideh, Combination Kebab and Sheer Chai (pink tea with rose water and cardamon).  The food was the most amazing feast I had ever had.  His mother outdid herself and we experienced the most amazing service there.  Farhad was there from start to finish.  He promptly took our orders, checked on us throughout our meal and came over and spoke with us in conversation.  Wonderful customer service.  They also took pride in their restaurant with Afghani objects and images put up throughout.  It was the most enjoyable meal and the atmosphere was great.  I would definitely go back again.


Pamir Restaurant

Where: 4288 Dublin Blvd St, Unit #111
Website: http://www.pamirndublin.com/


2.  Shalimar Restaurant

My Aunt picked this place and promised me it was the most amazing Pakistani food I was going to eat.  We sat down at a table and picked up a menu, which looks like a newspaper sheet.  We settled on the Nihari and Chicken Karahi and some naan bread.  The tea is free at this location.  It was packed with people inside indicating the food must be great if its always this busy.  The food was amazing.  The right amount of spices paired with the right meat, melted in my mouth.  It was a great solid meal for me and I'm glad my Aunt took me there.  Shalimar has opened up a location in Dublin as well.


Shalimar Restaurant

Where: 3325 Walnut Ave, Fremont, CA
Website: https://www.zomato.com/fremont-ca/shalimar-fremont/menu


3. Boudin - San Francisco Sourdough

If you're going to visit San Francisco, you have to try the infamous Clam Chowder in a Sourdough Bowl.  The trick is to find one that is halal.  Most places with make their chowder using bacon as a base so finding one that makes a great chowder without is hard.  Thankfully, Boudin at the Wharf doesn't use bacon in their chowder.  The atmosphere inside Boudin's is quite amazing.  When you walk in, look up and you will see the baskets of bread being pulled along a line from the bakery to the bakery shop.  In between is where you can sit at a table and enjoy your meal after ordering from the bakery shop.  The chowder itself is amazing.  They don't scrimp on the clams and don't over fill with patatoes.  Scrape up the soft sourdough inside to sop up the last of the chowder.  Its a wonderful meal to have on a cold evening.


Boudin - At the Wharf 

Where: 160 Jefferson St, San Francisco
Websitehttps://boudinbakery.com/boudin-at-the-wharf/


4.  Ghirardelli Square

Have a sweet tooth?  Wander over to Ghirardelli Square for a sweet concoction of ice cream and brownies.  As I walked into the store, a greeter passed me a new Ghirardelli chocolate square that tasted like cinnamon pumpkin.  It actually wasn't bad.  I ordered an ice cream called the Land's End.  Its two scoops of vanilla ice cream with a rich brownie on either side, drizzled with caramel and chocolate syrup and a maraschino cherry on top.  It was accompanied by a hot chocolate made with Ghirardelli chocolate.  It might cause you to become diabetic but how often do you come to Ghirardelli Square?  Its how I justified it.  I didn't finish the whole thing but from what I did have, it was heavenly.  Go to Ghirardelli Square and treat yourself.


Ghirardelli Square

Where: 900 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA
Website: www.ghirardellisq.com


5. Mirchi Cafe and Masala Pizza

I was having lunch with my Aunt and her sisters on the day before I was leaving and she asked what I felt like eating.  I said I wanted burgers.  So, she recommended a halal burger joint called Mirchi Cafe and Masala Pizza.  It is a cross of western and Indian fusion menu.  The burgers were spicy and the fries were spiced with a masala.  The coleslaw was normal.  The food was amazing if you are looking for something a little different.  The servers were fun and happily took pics of us.  The atmosphere is great.  Lots of great colour and pictures on the walls. I ordered the Lyari Burger - Marinated chicken breast served in a locally crafted bun and topped with sauteed onion, jalepenos, lettuce, pepper jack cheese and spicy ranch sauce.


Mirchi Cafe

Where: 7083 Village Parkway, Dublin, CA
Website: http://www.mirchicafe.com/index.php??????

6.  Tous Les Jours

Great place to meet for coffee and a nice pastry.  This place has the most heavenly desserts in their bakery.  The great this is that you can buy a sandwich, pastry, coffee or tea and sit at a table and have your snack with friends.  I had a coconut coffee latte and a bun with fresh berries and filled with whipped cream .  I recommend trying this place out.  Tous Les Jours is also located in Dublin, CA.


Tous Les Jours

Where:  7151 Amador Plaza Rd, Dublin, CA
Website: http://www.tljus.com/products/bread/regular/



7. Scott's Seafood Grill and Bar

Almost everyone I spoke with told me avoid going to Oakland.  After having my train stopped in Oakland because of a shooting nearby, I understood why.  However, my Aunt assured me that as long as we don't take a wrong turn anywhere, we should be safe to eat at Scott's Seafood Bar and Grill.  It is located at the marina in Jack London Square.  This is a great place to indulge in your seafood cravings.  It is not cheap, so be prepared to pay up for a delightful meal.  We stopped by for lunch.  We started off with Grilled Southern Style Crab Cakes and bread.  I had the Herb Crusted Alaskan Halibut and it came with garlic mashed potatoes and lemon-caper butter sauce.  It truly hit the spot. If you are looking for a nice place for fine dining that has superb seafood, check this place out!


Scott's Seafood Bar and Grill

Where:  Jack London Square, #2 Broadway, Oakland, CA
Website: https://scottsjls.com/



Comments

Popular Posts