Bosumarne Falls






If you ever wanted to take a short hike to a beautiful waterfall, Bosumarne Falls is it.  The trail head is located off the roadside by a telephone pole marked with 2017 in white spray paint.  The best way to find it is to turn your odometer to 0 when you turn onto Chilliwack Lake Road.  At about 33 clicks later, you should come up to a clearing to your left and a place to park your car on the side of the road.  I did, and it was still there when I came back.




I took my niece, Inaya, with me.  We ventured from the roadway into the clearing I mentioned earlier.  This is an old logging road.  Follow the beautiful sun worshipping daisies along the path that will take you to an amazing teepee at the foot of the lower Bosumarne falls.  You can take a quick break here for a snack or just admire the teepee and waterfall.


Lower Bosumarne Falls


If your objective is to reach the Upper Bosumarne Falls, then get ready for a steep hike.  I had bought myself an inexpensive hiking pole for $16.99.  I picked up the Woods Exposure Trekking Pole from Canadian Tire the day before and found it extremely helpful to balance myself on the rocks and muddy paths ascending and descending the trail.  So glad I purchased it!

There are many obstacle courses to get to the falls on your way up.  Some are hopping over fallen trees, crossing a bridge made of four slim wooden trees with metal placed on top over the falls to get to the other side to continue up to the main spectacle.



Once you've done that, the trail gets pretty technical from here on.  You'll find yourself slowly shimmying up a wet log, crawling over rocks and slipping on the muddy pathway on the way up.  However, if you have managed to make it this far, the reward at the top of the hike is totally worth it.  It's a spectacular waterfall with so much power,  I wasn't expecting it to be so full but I suppose there's still snow up in the mountains that needs to come down.



Once up there, take some time to take in the view.  Sit on the wet rocks, get cooled off and misted by the waterfall and enjoy your lunch like we did.  We saw others who managed to make it up but stayed for all of two seconds at the falls before heading down again.  Just for that Instagram shot.  It was quite sad to see.  Its not an easy hike if you are unfit or a novice hiker.  I've done the Lindeman Lake hike down the road and I can tell you, this compares to that but in a shorter space of time.  I have asthma as well, so if I can do it, so can you. Just take your time and be safe.  Especially on the way down.

Comments

Popular Posts